F3 is more than just a workout. Central to F3 is the 1st “F” Fitness, which is a key to living a healthier life. However, F3 is much more than a free outdoor gym membership. F3 is a community of men who become acquaintances, then friends, and ultimately shield lock as brothers under one Nation. We brothers do life together, rely on each other, lead one another, serve one another, and ultimately become invigorated to serve others in the community as well.
Similarly, Speed for Need is much more than a fitness activity pushing someone else in a racing wheelchair on Saturday mornings. Speed for Need is a network of F3 men, who believe F3 is more than just a workout, and carry out that belief by serving those with a special need before, during, and after the event. Speed for Need is an organization of F3 leaders who not only provide world-class racing experiences to those with a special need, but also strive to create community bonds between F3, the riders and their families, race organizers, local charitable organizations, and the overall fitness community. In order to accomplish this, the High Impact Men of F3 need to bring their passion and excellence to Speed for Need, Inc.
This handbook is designed to walk you – the regional Q and/or event Q – through how to plan, market, and Q a successful Speed for Need race. The handbook is intended for use only after your race has been requested and granted full approval by the Speed for Need board. If you are reading this, make sure you have submitted your Race Request Form for approval.
SPEED FOR NEED STANDARDS
Let’s begin with the items that we strive for at every Speed for Need event:
- Race Request Form must be submitted by the Speed for Need Event Q or Regional Q, with final approvals granted by the Speed for Need Board of Directors.
- The Event Q leads all Speed for Need events.
- The Preblast and Backblast are obligations for every Speed for Need event. These are opportunities to lead your F3 brothers, inspire the community, and memorialize the moment for your rider’s family and your region. Here’s what you need to know about each:
- PREBLAST (PB): Feel free to use this Preblast Template to post to your regional website or Tweet out ahead of the event.
- BACKBLAST (BB): The backblast is your opportunity to memorialize the event. Once complete, please submit the Event Backblast Submission Form so that we can include it on the Speed for Need homepage. A few things to keep in mind:
- Take the time and effort to put together a heartfelt event recap that the Track Commander and their family can view and use to remember the event.
- Prospective TCs and their parents may also view the pictures and/or video. It isn’t always easy convincing a protective mom and dad to trust us with their special needs child. Your pictures and/or video goes a long way in establishing this comfort level.
- Use this opportunity to market to not only your regional pax but also F3 pax all over F3 Nation.
- Speed for Need will utilize your video and/or pictures to market beyond F3 Nation to the overall fitness community.
Do your best to capture the experience in a few pictures and/or video clips consolidated in a 2-3 minute video. The pictures and/or video are your post-race showcase moment and, if done right, there’s no limit on the impact it can have. If you need any assistance in determining what to document during the event, please consult our YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/speedforneed ) for past race videos. That said, show some creativity and make the video your own.
- The Event Q has the responsibility to coordinate with the scheduled Race Director and ensure the following:
- Event course meets our Speed for Need safety standards (fully-paved, closed off from traffic, wide enough to accommodate race chair). See the Race Request Form for complete list of standards.
- Speed for Need has approval to set up a 12×12 tent close to the start-line or event area as a meeting point for Track Commander fitting and pre-race / post-race preparations.
- Free race entries for Track Commanders (TC’s must register themselves and sign race waiver)
- Discount code for F3 runners (best efforts requested)
- Speed for Need logo included among the race shirt sponsors and on the race website (best efforts requested)
- 2 minute head start (or preferred start time) for racing chair and participating runners. *IT IS NOT IDEAL TO START AT BACK OF RACE* (best efforts requested)
EVENT Q CHECKLIST
Use this page as a quick-and-easy guide when preparing for, and carrying out your Speed for Need event.
BEFORE RACE DAY:
- Track Commander recruitment and preparations:
- Must weigh under 200 lbs.
- Completed Track Commander Informational Form (prior to race day)
- Signed Track Commander Liability Waiver (signed by parent or guardian if under 18 years of age or if TC cannot complete waiver themselves)
- Participated in chair fitting prior to scheduled race
- Met with Driver/Race Q/Regional Q/ or Speed for Need Board Member prior to scheduled race
- TC is given a free Speed for Need shirt to wear during race, if they choose
- Event Q appointed by Regional Q (can be Regional Q himself)
- Race Request Form submitted by Regional Q to Speed for Need Board of Directors, and final approval granted
- Preblast posted and disseminated to the PAX
- Race Q coordination with Race Director. Ensure the following:
- Event course meets Speed for Need safety standards – roads/greenways that are closed off from traffic, fully-paved, wide enough to accommodate race chair
- Speed for Need approved to set up 12’ x 12’ tent at start line or event area
- Free race entry for Track Commander(s)
- Discount code for F3 race participants
- Speed for Need logo included on race shirt and website as official race sponsor
- Driver, TC and participating runners granted two minute head start
- Marketing plan: We recommend using all available options – regional newsletter, Twitter, Facebook groups, Slack, Backblasts, COT, etc.
- Driver recruitment and preparations:
- Must be an active F3 Nation PAX
- Must have attended a prior Speed for Need race
- Is a paid and registered race participant
- Must have watched Speed for Need safety video prior to race
- Received hands-on training with racing chair prior to scheduled race
- Arrange for racing chair(s) pick-up from racing chair storage location
- Event Q and Driver(s) arrive at event site at least 75 minutes prior to start. L
- Track Commander(s) arrives at event site at least 45 minutes prior to start
- Speed for Need tent assembled on-site near the start line or event area as designated by race director
- Chair safety specifications tested prior to the race to ALL participating chairs:
- Safety leash attached to the chair frame (must be worn around driver wrist at all times during race)
- All road tires filled to 110 PSI and fat-wheels to 20 PSI
- Disc-Brake tested for defects
- Handlebars tightened in two spots (to frame for height, and TT bars for angle)
- All three wheel pins fully-inserted and locked into frames
- Multi-tool and mobile phone in the safety bag attached to the handlebars of the racing chair
- Handlebars fitted to height of the Driver
- Track Commander strapped in securely (shoulder straps and waist strap, as necessary)
- Group photos and video recorded pre-race, during the race, post-race
- Track Commander awarded Speed for Need race medal in addition to specific race medal (if available)
AFTER RACE DAY:
- Official race video cut and uploaded to YouTube. Send pictures and video clips to email@example.com by Drop box or Google Photos share
- Fill out and submit your Event Backblast for inclusion on the Speed for Need homepage
- Contact Track Commander and family thanking them for participation
- Arrange for racing chair(s) return to same location as pick-up or to next Event Q